About Catherine Drea
"Through the practice of daily observation, I've learned to treasure the small and the ordinary. How light illuminates the hedgerows on an otherwise grey day, how the eyes of a hare meet my gaze for a fleeting moment of connection.
It's impossible to ignore the damage that has been caused to what was once wild and untouched. It is also a challenge to avoid romanticising and sentimentalising nature.
Contemplative photography means becoming immersed in what is present and yet invisible. Rekindling a relationship with the natural world. Exploring the intimacy, the vulnerability and the mystery of time passing. Encountering both the love and loss, of land and life."
Catherine Drea is an artist, photographer and writer. Over the last 10 years she has developed a practice of contemplative photography or heartography. Recently she exhibited her large printed macro images, From Seed to Blossom, from Blossom to Fruit, as part of the Imagine Festival 2017. She is currently developing a project called Crossing the Threshold, portraits of women in 2018.
Blogging since 2011, the Foxglove Lane Blog has won 4 national awards for Photography and a Silver Award in the Open House/Architectural Journal Competition, London.
She is a regular blogger and is also a columnist with the Waterford News and Star.
A Graduate of the National College of Art and Design and UCC, Catherine lectured in the Waterford Institute of Technology for 10 years. In 1994, she co-founded Framework-building ethical leadership and organisations in Ireland. Over the last 25 years Framework has developed a practice of inclusive facilitation, training and a range of creative methodologies.
Catherine also qualified as an Integrative Psychotherapist (UCC) and has a Masters in Social Entrepreneurialism (UCC)
If you are interested in collaborating on a creative project or working with Catherine as a group facilitator or one-to-one mentor, you can contact her here.
You can subscribe here to the Foxglove Lane Mailing List. Members get a regular email update and a FREE Guide to Photography with heart.
Exhibition From seed to blossom, from blossom to fruit as part of Waterford Imagine Festival in October 2017
- Photography as memory project. An group exploration as part of the Bealtaine Festival in collaboration with the Garter Lane Arts Centre. You can view a slideshow of the process here. May 2017
- As part of the County Waterford Arts Office response to Rural Networking for Artists, co-founded a Women's Circle along the Copper Coast.
- Recently joined the Board of Waterford Healing Arts Trust 2017
- Collaborations with Artist Roisin Sheehy, Casadh and for Feile na Bealtaine, An Bean a Chuireadh Crainn
- Fortnightly column in the Waterford News and Star called As I see it.
- The online Heartography Course will come on stream later in the year. You can sign up here if you want to be kept informed about the launch.
- Just launched with the Women's Circle is the Women's Creative Cafe, check it out here.
- Bealtaine Festival 2018, in collaboration with Garter Lane and the Waterford Women's Centre, a new photography workshop over the month of May 2018.